Desk of Contents[Hide][Show]
Having some Louisiana roots, Cajun Gumbalaya (additionally spelled gumbolaya) is a household favourite round right here. It combines the flavors of gumbo and jambalaya for an intensely flavorful recipe. As they are saying: “Laissez les bons temps rouler” (Let the great instances roll!).
What Is Gumbalaya?
I’ve additionally at all times been considerably of a rule-breaker, so whereas gumbo and jambalaya are each glorious dishes in their very own proper, I needed to discover a option to mix them in a single pan. Voila, Gumbalaya!
Actually, there’s a place for the standard recipes, however that is my go-to quick model for busy nights. It has all the flavour however is far faster and simpler to make and doesn’t have a flour-based roux.
Quick & Simple Cajun Gumbayala
At any time when potential, I attempt to burn up no matter I’ve within the fridge or freezer. It helps me keep away from meals waste and it saves me cash. I are likely to put this recipe close to the tip of the week in my meal plan because it’s so versatile.
Some straightforward substitutions you can also make that may nonetheless have that Cajun taste you crave:
- Bell peppers – Use inexperienced peppers or no matter colour you might have readily available. The yellow and oranges are sweeter however received’t change the flavour.
- Cauliflower rice – Rice your cauliflower to maintain it keto or low-carb gumbalaya, or you should use white rice. I’ve even used quinoa or brown if I’ve some leftover I want to make use of up however they do change the flavour slightly.
- Kielbasa – You should use andouille sausage or smoked sausage relying on what you might have readily available.
- Purple beans – For additional protein, individually stress cook dinner some pink beans and add them for the final Quarter-hour to reheat. I are likely to batch cook dinner beans and freeze them so that they’re straightforward to throw into this recipe.
- Celery – Because it’s one of many veggies that lasts a very long time within the fridge, I prefer to slice and use it up on this recipe.
- Hen inventory – Regardless that the diced tomatoes add some liquid, you’ll be able to add a cup or two of broth or inventory so as to add a collagen increase with out making it too soupy.
- Spices – I’m infamous for including in additional garlic cloves… however you actually can’t go unsuitable with this recipe. Generally I throw in a pinch of cayenne pepper, a few bay leaves or a splash of pink pepper flakes. When you have creole seasoning, put a ½ teaspoon of it in. The chances are scrumptious.
- Crushed tomatoes – It received’t drastically change the feel in the event you swap diced tomatoes for crushed tomatoes.
Right here’s my un-traditional tackle this conventional New Orleans recipe.
Cajun Gumbolaya Recipe
A combination of gumbo and jambalaya, this recipe combines many Cajun flavors for a flavorful and filling dish!
In a big skillet, cook dinner the diced rooster and sliced sausage in coconut or olive oil till browned.
Take away from pan and put aside.
Whereas the meat is cooking, cube the bell peppers and onion and mince the garlic.
Sauté the diced bell peppers and onions within the skillet till comfortable, including the minced garlic within the final minute or two.
Season with the spices listed or as desired.
Whereas the bell peppers, onions, and garlic are cooking, put the cauliflower into the meals processor and pulse till it’s in small items like rice. You may as well chop with a knife or hand or field grater, although this takes longer.
When the onion combine is finished softening, add the can of diced tomatoes and the okra.
Add the rooster, sausage, shrimp, and cauliflower and simmer one other 10-Quarter-hour till the cauliflower is comfortable and shrimp is cooked. Alternatively, you’ll be able to cook dinner the cauliflower individually in some butter in one other skillet and serve the gumbo over it.
Serve sizzling and revel in!
Be at liberty to regulate seasonings and spice ranges to your tastes.
Serving: 2cupsEnergy: 190kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 26.4gFats: 3.9gSaturated Fats: 1.1gLdl cholesterol: 152mgSodium: 875mgFiber: 4.3gSugar: 5.5g
What’s your favourite Cajun dish? Have you ever tried Cajun Gumbalaya but?